Tokaruk Show Stables
Making good horses and riders better
Michael began his love for riding at a young age in his native Canada before moving to the United States, where Michael began a working student position at River’s Edge Farm with Ken Berkley and Gary Zook. During his time at River’s Edge, Michael progressed through the junior hunter, jumper, and equitation ranks, winning classes at Devon and earning ribbons at the American and Canadian National Equitation Finals. He was also fortunate enough to work extensively with many nationally renowned trainers including Scott Stewart, Missy Clark, Bob Braswell, Chris Kappler, and Anne Kursinski.
After graduating from the junior ranks, Michael juggled the demands of being a full time college student at George Washington University in Washington, D.C, with his desire to ride and train professionally. During this time, Michael spent extended periods of time riding and working in Holland. In Holland, Michael was fortunate enough to train under Dutch legend Roeloef Bril while riding at two large sales barns.
Michael worked as a professional rider for Heritage Farm (Katonah, NY) and Spring Mill Farm (Eads, TN) prior to having his own business. He won the WCHR Legacy Cup Hunter Finals as a professional in 2005 riding Polaroid and has won multiple grand prixs over the years– reaching 20 career grand prix wins by 2020 and almost $900,000 in career prize money earnings.
Michael has also trained/ridden horses to USEF National Horse of the Year championship honors, trained the 2017 North American Young Jumper Rider and the 2018 Youth Olympic Show Jumping Gold Medalists. His students have competed at the major national indoor equitation finals and earned hunter and jumper championships at WEF and Harrisburg.
Michael is a USEF ‘R’ judge in hunters and hunter seat equitation and officiated at major A shows across the country including Kentucky WCHR, WEF, and the Wellington Maclay Regionals.
Michael has continued his professional development by working with many top trainers including Melanie Smith Taylor, Andre Dignelli, Richard Watson, and Katie Monahan-Prudent. Michael is a TCP “Certified Trainer” through the United States Hunter Jumper Association. He has been a member of the USHJA Youth Committee, the Zone 4 Hunter Committee and the Board of Directors for the West Tennessee Hunter Jumper Association.
Michael is also a dealer and broker of high-quality show horses. “We buy, sell and train real life unicorns!”
• Won $30,000 Brownland Grand Prix on Steel The Love at Brownland Fall II
• Won $30,000 Brownland Grand Prix on Steel The Love at Brownland Fall I
• Won $25,000 Brownland Grand Prix on Eagle Eyes PS at Brownland Fall I.
• Won $1,000 Professional Equitation Challenge on Volkano’s Boy – Santa Fe Summer
• Won $10,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby on Trademark Darmanville -Santa Fe Summer
• Won USHJA National Hunter Derby
• Won $5,000 Hunter/Jumper Versatility Class on Hit Me Van’t Zorgvliet – Germantown Charity
• Won $15,000 Open Jumper Welcome Class on Hit Me Van’t Zorgvliet –Germantown Charity
• Won $25,000 Grand Prix on Hit Me Van’t Zorgvliet – Germantown Charity Horse Show
• Won USHJA Hunter Derby on Major – Colorado Horse Park
• Trained longtime student to Gold Medal at the 2017 North American Young Rider Championships in New York
• Won $5,000 Hunter Derby on Major at Brownland Fall
• Won $25,000 Grand Prix on Ilan at Brownland Fall
• Won Brownland Spring Grand Prix on Baton Rouge
• Won Brownland Fall Grand Prix on Cupid Shuffle
• Leading Open Jumper Rider at the Pin Oak Charity Show in Texas
• Students were champions & took wins at major shows including Kentucky, Split Rock, Tryon, and Zone 4 Finals.
• Won Brownland Spring Grand Prix with Qasqai
• Won IJF 7-year-old Young Jumper Finals championship on Vanrock
• Rode Vanrock to USEF National Championship Horse Of The Year
• Invited to the Gladstone Training Session in Chicago.